Sunday, February 1, 2009

Recounting January

Several people are adding end-of-month posts that summarizes what the month's accomplishments.   I think that I did okay regarding some of my 2009 goals:  I did not buy any fabric from stores or online.  I did succumb to some fabric from an estate sale and when I went to SCRAP in SF.   At SCRAP, a shopping bag of fabric was $5.  I could not resist.  I also got some rhinestone buckles (10 cents each!) and some fold over elastic.  Total cost = about $8  (the lady who works the register kind of eyeballs the stuff you  have on the counter and tells you how much you owe. 

Other goals need more work.  I did buy new sewing patterns, too.   I need to figure out how to break the pattern buying habit:  those pattern sales are my downfall.    I don't think that I could ever purchase a pattern at full price.  In the mean time, I have boxes of patterns in my living space.  Sigh.

Sewing:  I made Burda Sweater top (from November 2007), so that used about 1.75 yards.   I have made this pattern before.   Wait!  I messed up the assembly, so I had to re-cut several of the pieces- another 0.5 yard!  (2.25 yards)   I am not certain if I will hold onto this top--the fabric is a raschel/flat sweater knit that I bought from Fabrix in SF several years ago.  I think that the fiber content is synthetic--the fabric looks very shiny and cheap (as opposed to being fabric was just inexpensive).

Burda 7970--I'm trying to make this one a TNT pattern. I think that I have succeeded--I can practically make it in my sleep.   I made a black and white (jersey knit) version of Burda 7970,  as well as a purple stretch velvet version (with a white collar accent), so that is another 1.75 yards.  I also used that pattern to make a black/white/pink floral mesh blouse, which I lined with black mesh, so that mean I used 3.5 yards for this version (7 yards total!)

Over this past weekend, I made fleece socks from KwikSew 2527.  I have made these before--they are are great to wear around my apartment (I remove my shoes after entering my home).  I also wear them when I go to sleep--no cold toes!  I made two pairs from some fleece scraps I bought at Joann's in December.  I bought the fleece for some Christmas gifts before I found different material to use.  Now I can discard my earlier/wornout versions of these socks.  I used about 1 yard of fabric for the socks.

I also made a camisole top from KwikSew 3115, also made from mesh, also lined.  I skipped the shelf bra, because I'm planning on wearing it over my regular bra.  The pattern takes about  0.5 yards, doubled (because of the lining), that's 1 yard.  I was also able to use some of the foldover elastic from SCRAP.

Jeesh!  I think that is 9 10.75  yards!   When I add it up, that number looks pretty good!  When I add the previous figure, it's 13.25 15  yards sewn for 2009!

February projects on deck:  
  1. I need to make certain I have flattering dance costume I can wear later this month at a performance.   This will be a folkloric costume:  I have the sparkly black and white, I have the pattern (a variant of Jalie's polo shirt pattern).  I have also done this before, so it shouldn't be so bad.  
  2. I also like the idea of working a pattern to death and making it a TNT (TNT = Tried and True, I think that many sewists has adopted this terminology from Carolyn).  I think that I have done this with several patterns (e.g. KS 3115, both top and bottom views), as well as several BWOF tops.  I traced out a skirt pattern and I made a muslin (Oh! more yardage 1.75 yards), so I do have adjust it.  While digging through the pattern stash I found a copy of Burda 7947, which is a skirt that has interesting piecing . I will need to alter the pattern to fit, as I am out of the size range.
  3. I'm expecting 2 pattern magazines:  the February issue of BWOF, as well as Patrones.  I received the Burda Plus issue.  I might make something from one of these issues.
Two sewing goals are enough.  That's all for now!


1 comment:

  1. I just had to jump in and say that I have a hard time resisting pattern sales too. That is truly a weakness of mine. I also love your choice of words regarding working a pattern to death. I love that!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!