Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

I want to wish health and happiness to everyone in 2011. I think that it's been a tough year on many levels.

I have been spending the past few weeks working and recovering from the cough that I caught in Egypt. I'm mobile and able to go into work, but dang, when I start coughing, everything stops for about 5 minutes.

I've spent this afternoon re-organizing some of my fabric stash and trying to sort out fabric that I'm not going to use and that I should donate/trade/gift. I'm going to do the same thing with my clothing. I just have too much fabric in my apartment. I'm participating in PatternReview's Stash contest, so I need to clear out space for new garments in my closets and drawers. I have several TNT patterns for tops that will work nicely, including the BurdaStyle 9-2010-121 turtleneck that I managed to trace off and sew earlier this week. Since I can make these patterns over and over again, I should take the opportunity to clear out tops that I no longer wear.
The massive amounts of sewing related stuff are making me feel uncomfortable and I'm glad that I'm sorting through things. Last night I went through and organized my sewing magazines (Burda, Knip, Threads) to clear out some space. I managed to pull out my UFO's (Un - Finished Objects) from under my sewing table (when I reached a stopping point on the project, I put it in a 3-4 gallon ziplock bag and tossed it under the table. Out of sight= out of mind). I seem to have more trousers projects than I remember.

I'm not buying any more fabric until I go to Los Angeles in March (fingers crossed that my plans work out). I did manage to buy some more fabric for Christmas New Year's presents for my coworkers, as well as a quick trip to Fabrics R Us in San Jose for garment fabric. I'm was sad to realize that Fabrics R Us has consolidated to two storefronts, instead of the three that I'm accustomed to seeing. I worry about the fabric stores and vendors--I am seeing more sales announced more frequently: I sense more tough times ahead. I hope that my friends and colleagues remain in business.

My goals? To consume what I purchase (to reduce on stashing--if I can purchase it once, then I can purchase it again. I don't need to buy it all at once); to take a worldview on events (to look at things from a perspective more widely than my own); and to take pleasure in simple things.

Also, if I'd appreciate it if I could find the key to my storage unit, so I can put my luggage away. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!