The previous post was written and schedule to be posted in September 2009--I completely forgot that I had it scheduled to be published. Shams, Sherril, thank you for your comments!
My goals for 2012:
1) Work out 4 times a week. I have not been able to have a regular dance class or fitness schedule for the past few years and It's really taken a toll on me mentally and physically. My goal for 2012 is healthy mind as a product of a healthy body.
2) Sew 1 aspirational garment every 3 months. When I read other sewing blogs, I become inspired by their accomplishments. While I am very comfortable sewing activewear, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I work with garments to wear to work. I work in a business casual environment (more on the formal side for Silicon Valley, where casual can be very very casual). I am defining 'aspirational' as a work appropriate outfit (trousers, skirt, dress, blouse).
3) Organize fabric stash for easier access. I probably have enough material and notions to get anything made.
I spent last night sewing. I've been working very slowly on a Vogue 8634. Very slowly--I started tracing this pattern right after Thanksgiving and last night I decided to finish the muslin. While it fits, it the design is not flattering to me. So I stuffed everything in a big ziploc bag (pattern envelope, pattern tracing, muslin, notes on how it fits/doesn't fit) and placed it in the fabric midden under the cutting table.
Then I pulled out Kwik Sew 2722. As part of my 2012 goals, I am going to the gym and dance classes, so I need appropriate clothing. I can whip out a pair (or two) of dance pants in an evening (or buy what I need from Costco), but I wanted to make some dance class tops. At the gym, where I take sculpting, hip-hop dance or yoga classes), I wear a Enell sports bras, which really support me but aren't really flattering. I wear a variation of Kwik Sew 3567 or Kwik Sew 2723 (modified, incorporating an empire waist)--these completely cover my bra and I feel comfortable in them.
When I go to dance class,* I usually wear a regular supportive bra and a camisole (from Target or Costco). If I'm cold, I'll wear dancers wrap top (from a Kwik Sew pattern that appears to be out of print 'cause I can't find it on the website). Well, after several years of wearing this, I want to wear something different. So I trolled the Kwik Sew website and I came across Kwik Sew 2722.
Kwik Sew 2722 are unitards: two views feature key hole back. I decided to modify this pattern (no, I will not appear in public in a unitard) and use it to make sleeveless tops. So last night I pulled out the pattern (yes, I had it in my stash), traced it, cut it and sewed it up. I did this in less than 2 hours, pressing each seam, fitting it and altering the pattern as I went along (see--I don't have a problem with sewing active wear).
I fiddled with a FBA. Kwik Sew pattern is designed for a smaller bust, and the instructions ease extra fabric at the side seams. I added more room for the girls, but I may alter it to add an empire seam for better shaping. Right now I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I like the keyhole (no viewable bra straps, which was the goal!). Here is a front view in front of the fabric stash.

I do have one problem--the neck closes with a swim hook. I can't get the hook to stay closed-- the top of the hook slides out. I tried tightening the collar so that there is more tension. I made a second version of the top with a narrower band, but the hook keeps sliding out. Happily, the top is in no danger of slipping off--I don't have to worry about a wardrobe malfunction. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this? I can always safety pin it, but it seems like there should be a better solution. I may experiment with buttons or snaps (yes, i have a snap setter in my stash). I want to work with the pattern a bit--I could use it in a dressier fabric for just night clubbing (due to my copious social life).

*It may seem strange that the dance classes and gym classes have different cultures, but they really do! I think that I could wear KS 2722 to a yoga class with a regular foundation garment, but the keyhole effect would be lost with my sports bras, so it wouldn't work for the other gym classes

maybe try the hook facing down?I know its not traditional but if its slipping out the way it is its worth a try.:)
ReplyDeleteExcellent goals, I say! I have no remedies for the hook situation (other than thinking the same as what Michelle said), but I want to give you high fives, and lots of support, on your goals list!
ReplyDeleteHere's to a healthy & motivated 2012 :) See you at a BABES ~~~
I like your idea to organize the stash, definitely something I should aspire to accomplish this year too! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteWhat great goals, Rose! That is TOO funny that the post was scheduled in Sept 2009!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm also planning on getting back to exercising on a more regular basis. That, plus healthier eating. It sounds so easy, doesn't it? :)
I don't have any hook solutions either. Maybe next time you can convert it to ties.