Sunday, October 7, 2012

Still here! (mend and repair)

I'm still here--Ive been pretty busy with work. It hasn't been all work and no play--You may have seen me on other blogs (Sham's Communing with Fabric and Jilly's Jilly Be Joyful). My thanks and appreciation to my blog followers. I don't have any pictures, but over the past few months I have been sewing:

panties/underwear - based on Ottobre Women (May 2009). Sometime over the past 5 months, I read the suggestion that I cut out the panties, store them in a scrap bag, and then when my sewng mojo needs help, sew several pairs of panties. It's a good idea for using largish scraps of fabric, and it does get my mojo going.

Camisoles--I used this sleepwear pattern from McCalls (5248). It's quick, but and elegant.

I've been doing quick and dirty alterations on work trousers. My trouser size range is at the top end of 'regular' retail and the bottom end of plus sizes. I've had luck with purchasing trousers on amazing sales from Anne Taylor in the "curvy" style. The trousers fit in the hip, but the waist have been too large. My quick alterations include taking in the waist at the center back seam or at the side seams. I sew through ALL the layers, including the linings--this is what makes it quick and dirty. I would never PAY for this sort of alteration, but for me it works. My purchase price is much less than I would spend on making the trousers. If you try this at home, use basting stitches to check on the fit and the appearance of the trousers, before using a shorter stitch length. It usually takes me 2-3 attempts to make certain I have an acceptable fit and appearance, and the seam ripper is your friend.

RE-Waistbands If size difference is too small to sew in a tuck, I've been sewing waistband elastic along the inside waistband (two pieces along the sides, from front to back). I've used this technique on a skirt--and it's great.

I did go to Artistry in Fashion at Canada College. Ronda Chaney graciously organized a sewing bloggers meet-up before this event--Thank you, Ronda! I try to go to this event every year (I had to skip it last year because of my broken foot). I enjoy meeting the independent pattern designers and the sewing pattern fashion show. This year, the desiger was Marsha McClintock from Saf-T-Pockets. I'm glad that I went--the garments in the show looked much nicer than the pattern envelope illustrations (is this the Kwik-Sew Syndrome?). Marsha shared the tip that pretty much any fabric can be made waterproof by using Nikwax. This product is used the washing machine. I have several (fashionable) rain jackets that are no longer waterproof. I purchased the two products (the TX Direct and the TechWash), and gracious, my jackets are water proof again! They have a strong recommendation from me!

At at the rate I'm posting, will hear from around New Year's. Again--thank you for your patience!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Rose, it's good to hear from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh mending and alterations,i have a pile to work on too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!