I wish a happy Labor Day to my North American friends.
I haven't been sewing recently. I thought that my Mojo disappeared--I was avoiding sewing. I identified patterns I wanted to sew and fabric in my stash I wanted to use, but I never got started on any project. I spent some time looking for it in my apartment. It took a week or two for me to realize that my mojo was still in my apartment, but it was BURIED under a huge stash of fabric, patterns, books, dance clothing, fitness clothing and other random stuff. It really depressing being surrounded by too much stuff.
I've lived in the same apartment for 12 years (really in the same complex for 20 years). I haven't done a major re-arrangment of my furniture in err. decades. I did to a major de-stashing last year, but at that time I didn't go through my books, closets, etc. I have not re-located in literally decades, so it's time to thin out my possessions (Example: I have LPs, Cassettes, CDs and digital downloads in my apartment). I do not have an empty flat surface.
So I'm spending this weekend going through as much as possible. I have several plastic bins (mostly fully of fabric) on my patio, and I'm going through everything to get rid of the obvious stuff. I've made two donation trips (books and shoes) and I have stuff set aside for electronic recycling, stuff for a dancer-garage sale. I'm also cleaning and doing minor repairs. I'm pretending I'm moving. I may end up renting some storage space, but I'll have a clearer idea of my possessions. There is a lot to do, so I had better get cracking
I spent 10 days helping my mom downsize from a small house to a 670 sf apartment so I empathize.
ReplyDeleteIt's a PITA, but also liberating. Non?
It is liberating. I can actually separate out what I don't need/want, but the challangong part is letting go. I'm looking at the dancer/garage sale and thinking if it would be better to just donate it to goodwill or st. vincent de paul.
DeleteI am enjoying havng floorspace, though. :)
congrats and good luck with the destash. It can be painful but worth it in the end!
ReplyDeleteLinda, thank you! I'm looking at some of my acquisitions and I'm wondering what was I thinking? It's interesting to see how much my taste and interests have changed.
DeleteIt's a wonderful feeling to clean out old tired possessions and free up a bit of space in your life; well worth it. Best of luck! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Carolyn!
DeleteOMG my shelf and coat rack in the downstairs closet finally came away from the wall, groaning under the weight of all the stuff, culminating in an avalanche last spring, and today my dad came to fix it. I had to empty out all the stuff from the closet first, which took 40 min, but it took almost 3 hours to put most of it back in there. I've got one of those donation pickup services coming in 2 weeks. As always, when I clean out the closets, I think "I'm never buying another thing ever again".
ReplyDeleteI have to go through my sewing closets and bedroom closet but it's not going to be this weekend. More power to you for plowing through it this weekend!!
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Kyle! I realized that I was overdue for cleaning out stuff, but the volume is overwhelming. I'm taking it one box at a time. It's slow going, but it's going in the right direction.
DeleteYou can do it!!!
DeleteI am so impressed by your determined resolve. Good for you! I do hope your mojo revives (and it most likely will).
ReplyDeleteThank you. Shams! I'm working on one box or one task at a time... :)
DeleteI feel like I declutter and destash beyond sewing stuff every few years but it never ends, I accumulate more stuff related to my various tasks, hobbies, needs. But yeah, there just might be mojo in the resulting extra space :) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThank you, MaryBeth! One thing is just leading to another. It's like unravelling a sweater--if you don't know where you are going to stop,you have to keep going. :)
ReplyDelete