Well, my sewing mojo disappeared for a while. I think that it might be surfacing. I had the brown and white version of the Jalie 2793 on Dolly (my dressmaking mannequin) for close to 2 weeks without change. I wasn't inspired to finish it, even though all that is left are the hems. I just didn't like the colors for spring. So, to get it off my plate, I mentally cataloged it as a muslin, and I decided to make one from the turquoise and brown print. I made myself finish in in two rounds of sewing, so I could wear it to work, which I did. I'm not certain that this is the pattern for me, though. I am planning on making it in one more combination--a white floral cotton lycra jersey, with white bands. I hope that the effect will be very spring-like.
While Dolly wore the brown and white muslin, I did make a muslin of HotPatterns Deco Vibe Flippy Skirt I like it. I'll have to cut out a 'real version'. The pattern pieces are simple enough, but the end results is very nice. As several reviewers have noted, I have to be careful with matching edges. But my next project which is Simplicity 3880, which is a Threads magazine collection pattern that is now out of print. I'm making view B, the cargo pants. I actually made a muslin (no pictures) to check the fit, and instructions. I've cut out the pattern pieces, interfaced what needs to be interfaced, and I've already have sewn up the pocket flaps, trimmed with lace. I'm actually excited by this project, so I'm hoping I can finish them this week. I need some pants that fit nicely.
I spent a good chunk of time working on the pants yesterday and today. I wanted to spend more time today, but I had to fix (well, replace) my bike basket. Last summer, I bought a bike to ride to work (and exercise), and of course, if I'm riding to work, I need a basket to haul stuff. I asked the bike shop to install a front handle basket. Well, the brace, which holds the basket to the handlebars, broke sometime over the winter. And after I removed basket and the brace from my bike, I realized that all the brace's parts were plastic, and even I got replacement parts, the design is flawed. So off to REI to get a WALD basket. It took a while for me install it (including a trip to the hardware store to replace a stripped screw. Have you ever purchased something for 11 cents and received a receipt? One guy helped me determine the proper size metal screw (I brought the bad screw and the WALD brace with me), and told me it cost 11 cents. He was going to ring it up, but he started helping other customers in the nails/screws/bolts aisle. I went to the cashier, told him it was 11 cents. He accidentally rang the sale up for 2 screws (he saw my stripped screw). I was surprised that the price came up to 24 cents. The cashier fixed it, when I pointed out the error, but it wasn't' until I was in the car driving home did I realize how frugal (or cheap!) I must have appeared.
Other stuff I want to work on: I'm waiting for my Jalie patterns to arrive. I'm joining the jeans-sew-along on PatternReview.com. I have some denim in the stash that will be fun to work with. I also want to make a woven blouse. I want to wear something more businesslike to work other than knit blouses. I also purchased a book by Adele Margolis, "Making your own patterns." I think that it's great bedtime reading, along with pattern instructions--right now, my clothing needs a number of alterations for the clothing to look good, so I'm hoping that reading this book will be helpful.
I'm reading your blog from the beginning (in case you were wondering who it was). I could totally see me correcting an 11 cent purchase and not thinking about it until later.
ReplyDelete