I've decided that Simplicity 3880 will be the product of slow sewing--no rushing on this project. On Sunday, I cut out the pattern and made a muslin to test for fit. I prewashed the fabric, cut out the fashion fabric and interfaced all the necessary pieces. Last night I made all of the pocket flaps (trimmed with white lace), and I attached the front pockets (front yoke, linings, pocket flap, button and buttonhole). I read the instructions for the sewing the fly zipper several times last night before I went to sleep. The illustrations aren't very clear, and it's confusing trying to figure out the relationship between the "big" dot and the bottom of the zipper. And the fly pieces in this pattern are separate pattern pieces from the pants front (they are sewn on). I just went through it step by step and I have to say that I think I have success! I put the darts in the back pieces before I decided to call it a night. Next up: the cargo and patch pockets for the legs and hips.
In order to inspire my progress, I've started pinning the completed fabric pieces to Dolly--it's great. I can see my pants slowly taking shape. Dolly is also wearing a blouse made from the same fabric I plan to use for a new top. It's great--I can see how the colors will work together. Right now, I'm wondering about the fabric weight for the cargo pants. I'm using a lightweight canvas (bright yellow!), and I'm concerned (at this late date) that they might be more than a bit transparent when worn in sunlight. Ah, well, I'll see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!