Sunday, September 27, 2009

No Sewing on Saturday or Sunday

Yesterday I got together with several Bay Area sewers (members of BABES from "Bay Area Bash Expressly for Sewists") at Cañada college's Artistry in Fashion event. It was a frightfully hot day, and I arrived sometime after 10:00. I was only able to stay for a short time, but I saw the independent fashion designer fashion show, featuring La Fred, Decades of Style and Loes Hinse. Each designer was able to show 10 different outfits and discuss their design principles, inspirations, etc. Afterwards, Lisa, Irene and I went sales room where the designers were selling their patterns (way beyond the the art to wear sales tables--lots of yummy stuff there) and tried on different garments made up from the outfits. That was really fun-it was great to see if a garment works on different body types, etc. I ended up buying 4 patterns, more that I expected, but I think that I'll enjoy them. From La Fred, I purchased the Daphne Pant and the Maia Jacket. And from Decades of Style, I purchased the 1931 Lily Jacket pattern (# 3006) and the 1950's Diamond Dress (#5002).

I forgot to allow time to look at the student displays. They had a re-cycle/re-use competition--I'm sure the results were great. I did wander through the art to wear tables--there was a lot of cool stuff, but a lot of it was very arty, not what I would like to wear to work. As I was leaving, I did come across another room with sales tables. I will have to allow more time next year.

After this event, I went to two cultural club meeting and then a barbecue. I didn't get home until close 10:30. I'm exhausted. I was happy to see the new Burda World of Fashion (October 2009) issue in my mailbox, as well as the two missing Netflix DVDs. I had given up on ever seeing those discs and had reported them missed last week. Well, back into the mail they go. The new BWOF has some great patterns. I'll also try to finish the olive green pants--I just have the waistband and the hems. More later. I'm recovering today and tonight is Mad Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!