Saturday, February 27, 2010

Weekend Project

I'm sewing again! Unfortunately, it's not the princess seamed jacket, nor am I working with any of the luscious knits that I showed in my last post. I'm working on a costume. Last night, I spent time clearing off my cutting table, cutting out the pattern, and de-linting my sewing machine. I'm performing with some friends at a festival in two weeks, and I realized that I had better work on my costume and make certain every costume piece fits instead of just talking about it. I have all the piece: fabric, interfacing, thread needles. I just need to get going and put it all together. The Olympics interrupt my sewing time, and I realize that I get more done when I have music playing (or the radio). The TV is too much of a distraction.

My character is a North African/Mediterranean housewife, so she needs a loose fitting robe (which will be worn over another part of the costume). I bought a very lightweight striped polyester woven last week from Michael Levine from their sales area ($1 a yard). I think that it might have originally been meant for curtains. I'm using Simplicity 4048, which features a squared yoke and gathered skirt pieces. I cut out the fabric pieces this afternoon after my dance class and I started assembling it. It's going together very quickly which is very nice. I hope to have it finished by rehearsal tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to post some pictures before the weekend is over.

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I give you applause. If there is anything I hate sewing, it is costumes. Good luck and happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always awed by costume designers, I think sewing costumes are so intricate. Looking forward to finale pics. Now off to drool of the luscious knit stash.

    Thansk for the lovely compliment on my dress.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!