Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fabric P*rn Trophies!

I have not done any significant sewing in the past few days. I fixed a hook and eye, and snipped some loose threads from previous projects (while on the way to work, natch!). I thought I would share some of the fabrics I purchased at the Los Angeles Fashion District. These items came from Michael Levine's Loft. At the loft, fabric is sold by the pound ($2).

I tend to sew a lot of knits. I already have a sizable collection of florals and black and white knits, so I try to avoid purchasing purchasing more. In face of a bargain, however, I will change my mind. Most of these knits have two-way stretch (more crosswise stretch than length) and are about 54 or 60 inches wide in four yard lengths. I'm planning to make mostly dresses from the fabrics. No, I don't have any patterns in mind.

My first fabric on display is a black, pink, orange starburst geometric pattern with a border print. I love the colors of the prism as well as the challenge of sewing with the large scale squares.



I also discovered that many of the fabrics literally had my name on it.


Next up is a combination of my two of my favorite things: animal prints and the color purple! Purple swirls and dark grey leopard print.



It also had my name on it! The color looks a little more blue, but I had to turn off the flash, so that the label wouldn't get washed out.


Next up is a large scale turquoise and purple petal design. This also had my name on it, but I didn't get the label. It's not really clear from this pic, but the left side of the fabric has a black border.



Next up is a firework print, with a white base and a black, red, pink, & orange. The fabric, like the petal one above is also asymmetrical.



And it also had my name on it.

Up next is a combination of a floral and geometric--with a brown and turquoise base, plus different shades of blue and green.


And it did have my name on it. Again. :)


Last in this set is a black white and blue floral, in kind of a comic book type of print because of the pixels


And yes it did my my name on it. I didn't by EVERYTHING with the name "rose' on it, but most of the fabrics I got from the loft, did have my name on it. Weird coincidence, huh?



While trying to show these fabrics in a good light, I have developed a new respect for anyone who has a webshop and who photographs fabric. It's difficult lay out the fabric so that it looks good.

6 comments:

  1. That's a lot of fabric to make wonderful garments. Sew on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be-utiful fabric! Thanks for your comment on my suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwweeee! You got some BEAUTIFUL fabrics. I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sew a ton of knits to and I'm so jealous of this lot you picked up (smile). Those fabrics are simply spectacular. Have fun thinking of projects to sew with these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzer!!! that is definitely fabric porn... I love every single piece and can see each one made up in a dress and remanents turned into scarves.... did I say I love each and every piece. *drooling*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You got those at the Loft? Usually when I go there the selection is really sad -- they obviously knew you were coming!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!