Friday, November 19, 2010

Oprah Winfrey's Favorite Things episode is ....

an orgy of conspicuous consumption.

I used to like watching the 'Favorite Things' episode, but in the last few years, I've been turned off by the outrageous product placement and endless screaming audience members. Yes, I know that she has to approve the products. And yes, if I were in the audience, I would enjoy the gifts. And I know that the audience members are worthy souls. But while sitting in my living room, watching Oprah distribute the products (carefully naming the retail price) with polished munificence, I almost want to go look through mythology or fable reference book and try to find something that matches.

Hmmm..

1 comment:

  1. Something to think about. It sounds like it would be hard to know what to think about that kind of situation. Giving is good, but I would have mixed feelings about loudly declaring prices and such.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!