In egypt, Shopping is a sport--the merchant befriends you, you talk, the customer gets tea, he makes an offer, you make a counter offer, then he counteroffers (accuses you of being cheap or fords to that effect) you walk away, he lowers the price and you accept or you keep walking while the storer owner shouts outrage. This goes on and on. But the next day, when they see you, it's like you are an old friend. ( i had a roommate like that). And this happens at practically every shop.
Not all shops are pushy--many of the storeowners do express a sincere curiosity and interest in tourists (especially if try see you everyday) but the noise, being constantly greeted and hearing everyone call out, "Obama! Amreeka!" happens frequently enough that I'm staying away from the souk until i leave for the train station.
Another aspect is that (at first glance) i look Egyptian (or like a native Arabic speaker). When I ask for the price in Arabic, it costs 2 LE. When I asked for clarification (in English)--I can't recognize the numbers when spoken--and I'm buying two of the items (e.g. Small cartons of juice), the second item costs 3 LE. 1 LE is a small amount to worry about (an American perspective) but this endless haggling is, well, annoying. I'm not going to Luxor (where I hear it's worse), and I not going to the Cairo markets without friends or a guide.
I swear after this experience JoAnn fabrics will look heavenly. *smile*

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!