Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thank goodness for UFO's and TNT's


I'm leaving on Sunday, travelling to warmer place and I've sewing at least 1 garment a day. I can only do this because I'm sewing TNT patterns (TNT = Tried and True). Sewing TNTs means that I don't have to make a muslin of a new pattern. I don't like the actual physical process of making a muslin (practice garment), but I appreciate why I should make one. If I don't make a muslin, the first version of the garment that I sew turns out to be a muslin.

I've sewn two bamboo knit jersey (purchased from a coop) Burda t-shirt: one brown, one white, both with three-quarter sleeves. These should work for simple casual everyday clothing. I have used at least 3 yards from my stash. I'm sooo happy!

One of the events I'm attending recommends that I pack a garment suitable for a cocktail party (well, that's how I'm reading the event description). I rarely wear cocktail dresses, I don't go to church, so I don't have a lot of dressy clothing. I live in the capital of business casual, so I'm went through my closet and tried to find some separates that might work. I found a somewhat boho skirt: it's a wraparound skirt made from a shiny pink wine colored skirt with what appears to be a sheer black sari overlay. I was going through my fabric stash to locate a suitable black fabric for a dressy-tshirt top, when I found a UFO (un finished object): a Vogue dress, 8386 (now out of print). About 2 years ago, I started to make this for an event that in the midst of sewing, I decided not to attend. I made view B, in a thin sparkly black knit (fiber content unknown) purchased from Simon at Happy Stop ($2 a yard!) in Oakland. I think that it's go the right amount of glamour.

When I stopped, I had assembled the bodice (the bodice was the most technically challenging part of the dress) and the dress's skirt and I had partially assembled the two pieces. I did have the foresight to put all the fabric pieces, with the pattern (and instructions) in a big (three gallon?) bag. I was looking for the extra fabric, when I pulled out the dress, it looked great despite being in a plastic bag and moved around on the floor for the past 24 months. Perfect for traveling! LOL! I finished assembling it, tried it on and hemmed it. It should work out very well. I'll have to make certain to bring a shawl or scarf to wear with it, so that I can cover my arms if I feel uncomfortable.

This is all coming together--I'm so happy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been productive! I'd love to see pictures of your finished articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it is fun to find those UFO's, especially if their use is particularly apt in the moment. I can't wait to see the dress!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people who are reading my blog!